![]() |
| picture courtesy of morguefile.com |
During the new employee training I learned so much about working in a prison, but mainly the things that I am not supposed to bring in or the things I am not supposed to do while there. There area lot of rules. I am not allowed to bring a cell phone into the complex, and it is recommended to not even leave it in your vehicle, and if I do I am supposed to keep it hidden. Most of the women told me to just not bother bringing my purse in, because if I do it will be searched every time I enter the complex (I have stopped carrying a purse now). No cameras are allowed anywhere on the complex either or in your vehicle. I cannot bring in pre-packaged foods for snacks or my lunch unless I've removed them from their containers and put them in a ziploc sack or in a clear container. I am not supposed to have any extra clothing in my vehicle (visible) in the possibility of an escape, these articles of clothing can become a "disguise" for an inmate.
The training covered courses on topics that helped prepare us new employees for what it will be like working with them, as I will be supervising inmates in the library as patrons and I will have inmates as my library clerks. Some of the classes were basic classes talking about sexual harrassment among fellow employees, Arizona Government, to classes called "inmate manipulation", "inmate suicide prevention", "working with inmates", "prison rape elimination act of 2003", "staff safety", "security procedures", and "ethical staff\inmate relationships"...to name a few. They were all very helpful and I am glad they give such a long training period for anyone new to the complex. I must admit though they discussed scary situations that I am sure happen but are not the norm. I just hope I never have to deal with some of the scenarios they discussed in training!
I am sure there is a lot of information that I haven't thought of at the moment...but you get the idea of what it is like where I'll be working! I am sure this will be a great job and am looking forward to learning more and getting to see the operations of all the libraries here and eventually getting to manage and work at my own!

6 comments:
Oh my goodness!!! I am so excited for your new job. It sounds like it will never, ever be boring, and how great is that? I'm sure you will be safe. Keep us posted on everything, please. Oh, and would the prison library take a copy of Cinders if I donated it?
I am sure I will never be bored...although I hear they can have a lot of lockdowns, which means I can probably get a lot of work done! & of course you can donate a copy of Cinders to the library, it would be a great addition to the collection for sure! ;)
I will send one to you soon. :)
Wow...
There is that part of me that thinks "oh, cool!" and the other part that is going "Oh Emily! Are you sure? That sounds scary!" :) My mom side tends to take over these days. :)
Interesting stuff, Emily. I never got to hear anything about prison libraries in library school, I guess that's why I am so fascinated by it. Cheers!
Very true David...I don't think prison or correctional libraries were ever discussed when I was in school either. Would be kind of nice if I could have toured a prison library or had a class that talked about ALL types of libraries we could work in.
Post a Comment