Monday, April 26, 2010

Rattlesnake!

The other day Brandon was going through the garage and almost stepped on this baby rattlesnake!! The snake was either coming out of the garage or crossing in front of the garage, but it was rounding the corner when he was walking past it. It was pretty small, and I am thankful it wasn't a full grown rattlesnake! Brandon got this shot of his head, I took the other one. You can tell his rattle hasn't quite formed yet, and we couldn't hear it either. This was my first time seeing one up close, and I hope my last! I can handle the tarantula's and the scorpions, but I can't stand snakes! Also glad we didn't happen upon him in the garage hidden under one of the cars! I looked online and this is a Diamond Back Rattlesnake, and it indicated that baby rattlers are left at birth to fend for themselves and will hide anywhere to keep themselves safe. Well this means the garage will not remain open except when we are coming and going! Very scary!! We didn't get very close and used the zoom lens on the camera, but now I know it could be anywhere in the backyard as we get lots of bunnies and round tail squirrels back there. The squirrels even have a few tunnels in our backyard, probably the best place for a snake to hang around and wait for dinner!
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creepy. Just plain creepy.

Janeece said...

EWWWW! I am so with you...I HATE snakes!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh my goodness! That is scary! I'm glad you weren't hurt or anything. I think the scorpions would scare me the must. *shudder*

Scott and Alison said...

That's a BABY?!?!? There are reasons I don't live in AZ...this is definitely one of them! EEEEK!
You're a brave, brave woman.

John & Becky Lyn and Family said...

Wow! Makes me glad that your so brave to live down there and I'm so safe, although there are rattlesnakes here, but just up in the mountains. You have the creepiest down there and I'll stick with the foxes, bunnies and antelope. Love you and stay safe! Tell Brandon he's a real man for not being scared!

jrpetho said...

That is a big baby, holy cow!

Unknown said...

The babies are more dangerous then the adults. The babies don't know how to control the release of venom so a bite can end up with more venom then you can handle. I'm glad no harm. Be careful!!!