Friday, October 10, 2008

Scorpions!

Well last week when I got home from my class I came across these two scorpions right on the wall by the garage door. The one is the biggest scorpion I've seen here in Tucson! I assume they are mating, but who knows since they are head to head...ya got me. I snapped a few pics and they didn't move at all. You can tell how big the one is, since he is almost the length of the brick...crazy! The bigger the scorpion though the less poisonous...it is the small bark scorpions you have to watch out for, they are the most venomous ones here. I am just glad I didn't find these ones in the house, although we've found 3 scorpions in the house in the 3 years we have lived here, 2 of which have been bark scorpions. Our kitties actually are the ones that have come across them, and if they were stung it must not affect cats cause nothing has happened to them. We have lots of different kinds of desert critters in our yard...javelinas (pronounced with a "h" sound), coyotes, bobcats, tarantulas (we've found a lot of these in the garage, and have taken them outside), snakes, quail, and lots and lots of bunnies. I've added another image of the scorpions so you can get an idea of their size, and a pic of a javelina (courtesy of http://www.jenniferjo.com/). Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

EEEEK!!!!!!

Autumn said...

That does not sound like fun!!! I would freak out!!

Clarkson said...

That is so scary! When we were trick-or-treating we saw a scorpion. St. G just has small ones (I think).