The day before Thanksgiving I had the wonderful opportunity to volunteer
with a local homeless shelter program here in Tucson. I did some
photography for them during the set up of their Thanksgiving Street
Banquet. They had photographers scheduled during 3 other shifts, but I
enjoyed doing the set up. They fed roughly 2,000 people from 11am to 2pm.
My good friend Melissa has been collecting
shoes for many months and had even had some schools participating, so
she had over 2400 pairs of shoes. At this banquet she got the
opportunity to let the homeless and low income families that came pick a
pair of shoes! They gave out around 2,000 pairs of shoes that day.
After I took pictures I spend a few hours helping in the "shoe booth"
helping individuals and families find their shoe size. Overall it was a
very rewarding experience! Here are a few pics I took!
| setting up the tables! |
| volunteers! |
| blankets also were used as table decorations they could take. |
| they had agency booths too, offering services. |
| some of the homeless and low income families waiting for the banquet. |
| a motorcycle group that supplies all the drinks every year! |
| more volunteers! |
| they had table decorations they could take |
| people donated homemade pies and store bought pies too! |
| The shoe booth! |
| Kim & Melissa! |
| all the people in line for a pair of shoes! |
No comments:
Post a Comment