The day for our exhibition finally came and went, and I am so relieved to have it over with. It seems the whole summer we've been stressing about presenting our exhibits to the staff at the Library of Congress. The exhibit is really only open to faculty and family, so technically it was a closed exibit to the public. We set up and did a rehearsal on Wednesday then the actual exhibit took place on Thursday. It was held in the Congressional Members Room, which is beautiful (although the lighting was not great at all for my display). It was open from 9:30am to 3:30pm. My voice was a bit hoarse by the end of the day due to my talking about my display over and over again to everyone who approached my area. It was a great experience and I met a lot of interesting peole and really enjoyed the other Junior Fellows exhibits. My supervisor, Alexa, was able to be with me a good portion of the day, and was there to give me a breaks and a lunch. I truly appreciated that!
I can't believe my last day is Wednesday, only 3 more days of work to go, until I head to my family reunion and then home to Tucson. Working at the Library of Congress has been a very rewarding experience that I will never forget. I am so glad I had this opportunity, and was able to gain experience working with such a unique archive like the Veterans History Project. I have met some life-long friends here whom I know I'll keep in touch with hopefully get to see in the future! I am excited to get to go home and sleep in my own bed. I have missed Brandon so much, and will be glad to be back home with him again. I am so lucky to have him, he has been so supportive during my time here in DC, and I truly appreciate that and love him so much!
Congressional Members Room - this is before the exhibit opened and while we were still setting up
We had a very good turn out for this..was finally able to get a shot of the room with all the visitors
A picture of me with my display exhibit
My exhibit items, a WWI scrapbook and an illustrated unpublished manuscript (the only known copy)
A book from the Law Library exhibit with Mark Twain's signature!
The African and Middle Eastern Divisions exhibit: a collection of miniature books and Yiddish sheet music
close up of one of the miniature folding book
close up of another miniature book
Music engraved on stainless steel plates from the Music Division
My supervisor, Alexa! I will miss her, and I loved being able to work with her!
2 comments:
I am constantly amazed at the beauty of the libraries and buildings you visit. :)
And I love the picture of you with your exhibit. You look very lovely. :)
Thanks Mandy! :)
Post a Comment