Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 2 in DC

Well today I went to the Folger Shakespeare Library. I was able to sneak in on the last half of a tour given by a volunteer. It was very fascinating. This building houses a small theatre which we also toured; it was beautiful! This is a private research library that contains the worlds largest Shakespeare collection. They also house collections of early English printed books (1475-1700) and manuscripts.They have a new exhibit that  opened today titled: "Lost at Sea: The Ocean in the English Imagination, 1550-1750" This exhibit had books, instruments, maps, etc all dealing with early modern mariners of this time period. I have a picture below of the exhibit hallway.

Folger Shakespeare Library: each relief sculpture here on the building is of one of his plays.

Exhibit hall in the Folger Shakespeare Library

After the Library I headed to the Eastern Market (kind of like Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle, although probably smaller) I read online after I went that it is best to visit it on a Saturday, as they have more sellers and booths set up outside. So I guess I'll have to go again and see it in full action. They had a lot of variety and even a small market cafe, someone even mentioned to me I had to go there for breakfast and that their pancakes are to die for! I read an article that there is a line waiting outside for them to open at 7:30am. So one more thing to add to my list! :) Tomorrow I hope to go to the National Gallery of Art and take my sketch book! I haven't had time to just sit down and draw for the past couple of years, so I hope I get inspired by the beautiful artwork at the museum.

I've also posted a few pictures of the basement apartment I am staying in.

Eastern Market

3 comments:

MindyW said...

Your apartment looks so empty...Can I come and be your roommate again? Does Brandon ever get to come and visit?

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Wow! I didn't even know about the Shakespeare library. I would have gone there if I had known about it while I was there! You're having so much fun, and I'm jealous. :)

Emily said...

Mindy...the apartment is empty! Wish you were my roommate again! We had so much fun!!! Brandon will visit once over the summer, so I won't have to go a full 10 weeks without seeing him.

Michelle you would love the shakespeare library, it was a beautiful building! The theatre they had was very small but beautiful!! I really enjoyed the tour! :)