Today was more meetings designed to train us how to specifically handle the collections we will be working with. As most of the interns are working with rare and very old collections, today we had a conservation specialist talk to us about how the library actively enforces these policies to protect materials and to make some materials more durable and how to protect them against pests/vermin, weather, wear, and even mold.
We were also able to get a tour of the main library (the Jefferson Building), it was basically a similar tour that tourists get only condensed down to fit in all the information within the little time we had free. I was a bit disappointed since I was hoping for a more behind the scenes kind of tour. I think we will be getting a few field trip days to explore other areas of the library throughout the summer (not positive though, but hopefully).
Then the second half of our day we did computer training, and had a lot of issues with interns not being able to login or create accounts. It was very frustrating, and although most of us weren't able to complete our online computer security test (a lot of us will be doing it tomorrow when we report to our divisions).
I was able to meet my two other supervisors, and so far they all seem very nice and helpful. I am looking forward to working more with them and learning all I can from them. I am excited about my day tomorrow in learning more about the collection I will be working with.
1 comment:
That's really cool you're getting into training now. I hope it goes better tomorrow!
Post a Comment