Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Library of Congress...Picture Overload!!!

This past weekend was the American Library Association (ALA) Conference in DC. I volunteered at the Library of Congress to help with their open house. A lot of their reading rooms had their own open houses that the ALA members could tour. I was an escort, which proved challenging at first as I don't work in the main building and don't quite know my way around it yet. As volunteers we actually didn't have to escort too many people, but it was a very busy 2 hours! I was glad for it to be over with. Once I finished I was able to attend the Main Reading room open house. It was wonderful to get to wander around and go all the places not even all the staff are allowed to go to! We got a tour of the stacks, the room below the reading room (this is where they send the books up buy a machine to the reading room front desk), and the card catalog room (and don't worry they don't still add to the card catalog anymore..not since 1980). I have pictures below of the staircase that is hidden in the cupboards of the reference desk and leads down to the processing room below (also a famous staircase that Nicholas Cage was on in National Treasure...the second movie). I went to the open house with my new friend Candice...we have hit it off and it was nice to actually get some pictures with a person in it. Sorry for the picture overload, I even had more, but will maybe post them later! I also got a picture of the stacks and they are even double stacking books on shelves as well as even putting them on the floor...they are running out of room (and they even own two offsite buildings for storage as well, and of course there are the other two buildings located by the main library).  The stacks were a fascinating as they have marble floors, marble ceilings, and cast iron book shelves...the tour guide said the reason for all of that is to help reduce damage if there is a fire. Enjoy all the pictures!

1 comment:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Great pictures! I have really enjoyed "experiencing" this journey with you. :)